Wednesday, March 30, 2016

March 28, 2016 Infected

By early afternoon, we had preliminary cultures back on the fluid that had been removed from around the implant- the bastard Staphylococcal.  This was the crap news we didn’t want to hear. A fourth surgery was scheduled for early the next morning to remove the compromised implant.  It is believed that when we had to perform the first emergency evacuation of the hematoma, bacteria was introduced at that time. The drain bleed continues to stick it to me.


Damn you infection
The real bummer of all this is that now I will have to wait a few months before another implant can be installed.  I will need the infection to clear, the flap will need to grow strong enough to handle an implant, and an implant will need to be fabricated.  I will spend the summer with only skin between the world and my brain where the 13" circumference wide excision was performed.  If anyone has any creative helmet ideas, particularly for a professional environment, please pass them along.  Photo of my head once implant was removed below.



Time to move forward
  


No comments:

Post a Comment