Friday, April 8, 2016

April 8, 2016-- Surgery # 5, debridement

Anther week, another surgery.   When you are going through something continuous and unpredictable like DFSP and the associated risks I can't say how important it is to keep a positive sense of humor.  It is easy to start getting pulled into negativity- that will not help.
Just before surgery today


Sign of solidarity from Blanche after my first release
At my appointment with the plastics team yesterday it was determined that a portion of my flap is not going to make it and needed to be removed.  We do not believe it is infection related, but a vascular issue.  When I had the major flap bleed that started this downward spiral it was most likely the vein that feeds this particular part of my new scalp.  That was also compounded by damage from the pressure created by the blood dumped during the bleed.

After surgery today. VAC in place.

The procedure today seemed very routine and went fine.  Believe it or not there is not much pain as I write this only a few hours out of surgery, only a couple Norcos as pain meds instead of the much stronger meds needed after the other procedures.  Unfortunately  I am now hooked to a wound VAC and apparently no one at my insurance can approve taking the vac home until Monday- so I'm spending another weekend in the hole. Don't get me wrong I feel very fortunate to have good health insurance. With out it my life would be in financial ruins and my focus would most likely not be on my recovery. Makes me sad that that is a reality for good people who are unlucky enough to have a major medical event with out it. Damn shame. If you are currently uninsured I would highly suggest getting on a plan because you just never know. I was in very good health before all this went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment